My mum loved these waffles first go round, and the combination of maple and pecan and cinnamon just makes my mouth water. I aimed to create this recipe for my dad (ready why here), but in fact I ate them all before he was home!
If you don’t have a waffle iron, this batter works perfectly as pancakes too.
- 75g (gluten free) oats, you could just use normal flour here too
- 40g coconut flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp (gluten free) baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 150ml milk (of your choice)
- 30g chopped pecans
- 1 apple + a sprinkle of cinnamon + 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 handfuls of (frozen) blueberries + 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 handful of pecan nuts + 1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Coconut yoghurt ( I love the marks and spencers one, but any tasty one works well!)
- Pip and nut crunchy almond butter
- Heat up your waffle iron (or frying pan if you’re making pancakes) with a little oil.
- In a blender, blitz the oats to form a flour
- Simply mix the dry ingredients together, including the chopped pecans, and tip in the milk and eggs, stiring to make a smooth batter
- Once the pan or waffle machine is heated, pour in the mixture and leave to cook.
- Slice the apple finely and add to a seperate pan with a tiny bit of oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon. When the apple has softened and changed in colour, add in the brown sugar. Let this bubble for about 30 seconds and then transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan add the blueberries, mash them up and and a little maple syrup to sweeten, let boil for a minute and transfer into a bowl.
- Finally, in the same pan (again), add in the pecans, heat until slightly coloured then turn the heat down, add a splash of maple syrup, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Heat for another 30 seconds, then remove from the heat.
- Remove the cooked waffles (or pancakes) in to a plate. Serve with your favourite coconut yoghurt, then top with the caramelised apple mixture and the blueberry compote!
- Enjoy! Send me a picture at @courgettiblog on either Instagram, Facebook or Twitter, or leave it in the comments down below!